Our Teens

trip to topago

NR to Trinidad 2010

Sunday, July 11, 2010


Oh, man! Never have I seen God's Presence as clearly as I have in even these first few days of the trip, through experiences, conversations, trips to the ocean, and especially the bonding within our group.
I'm a senior in high school and part of the teen ministry at East Triangle Church in North Carolina (random, right?). So I could've easily felt like an outsider coming in, but when the North River group first met at the airport, I was immedeately encouraged by the positive attitudes and welcoming hugs I recieved (plus a bag of DELICIOUS cookies from Mack's mom!). Since then, we've done nothing but grow closer.
The group of teens especially have had awesome times together (for example, we can basically speak our own language with all the new phrases and words we've created), and we've been very open and honest with each other. I feel so close to each teen individually; there is not one teen on the trip that I haven't come to respect immensely. Last night us teens had our own encouragement circle, where we all shared how we're encouraged by each other... THIS is the Kingdom!
Our first full day of the trip was spent in Tobago, the tiny island next to Trinidad where the tourist industry is the dominant source of income... in other words, it's a craaaazy gorgeous island getaway that the entire world must see at one time or another. We took a glass-bottom boat to the beautiful Buccoo reef where we snorkled, stopping along the way at the famous Pigeon Point, and even swimming in the legendary Nylon Pool (which is supposed to make you ten years younger). We had midweek with the Tobago church (a booming eight people congregation) and us teens got to hang out with the four Tobago teens. Also, Lily, Travis and I answered many questions that the mothers of the church had about raising kids. That was all pretty encouraging.
My favorite part about the adventure in Tobago was the next morning, where we checked in for the morning at the Blue Haven hotel. This hotel is very old and absolutely stunning. It has its own private beach nestled between the cliffs, and a beautiful porch, and palm trees all around... I felt like we had just walked onto a magazine cover (and the blue sky wasn't photo-edited!). God's hand was so obviously on that land. The breeze was refreshing, the water was warm and blue, the sun was high and the palm trees were dancing. God made his Presence known so magnificently and strongly on that beach!
We took the ferry to and from Tobago, which was an interesting but definitely worth-it experience. Many people got sick, and basically everyone was sleeping. Pretty solid bonding time.
When we got back in Trinidad we had a chill night at our guest house, which has quickly become a home to all of us. On Saturday, Lin, the Hickmans and the Mackenzies took our group of teens and Jasmine to the parenting workshop at church. The teens each shared one thing in our relationships with our parents that has helped us grow closer to God. It was a very impactful time for everyone, and I so appreciated hearing the gratitude of the parents who listened (I learned how cool it is how God uses a little bit of effort on your part, nothing you may think is significant, in very powerful ways).
After the workshop we visited St. Mary's Orphanage, a facility that HOPE Trinidad has been very involved with and supportive of. We basically hung out ("limed") with the kids there for a couple hours, and played and laughed and danced and sung songs. The little bit of time we spent there was impactful to all of us. The orphans, most of whom were between ages 2 and 8, were so loving and carefree and fun. The immediate love they so freely gave to us melted my heart and taught us alot.
This morning at church was one of the most spiritually uplifting services I've been in. The singing was OFF the chain, and the preaching was inspiring. Travis and I led the thoughts at communion, and that experience was very fun and encouraging. After church the teens went to a world cup party at a brother's house with all the Trinidad teens... oh BOY do these islanders love their futbol! (GO SPAIN!)
If I could think of one word to sum it all up, it's straight up AWESOME. The devos are awesome, the fellowship is awesome, the adventures are awesome, and this group is just AWESOME.
So if you read this far in my novel, I want to thank you for following us on the blog, and please remember us in your prayers!
Love, your sister in Christ,
Brie

7 comments:

  1. Im so encouraged by you Brie! Im so excited YOU are there! You are such a light in this whole group and they are so lucky to have you! Thank you for continuously reminding me through this blog how amazing God is! I love you and miss you!

    Madison Bobbitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so encouraged by your heart and your deep love for God.I love reading the blogs because i feel like i get you know each and everyone of you better.So from this i can tell how passionate you are about God and at such a young age,its pretty inspiring.Its great to hear all that God is doing over there.Keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brie:

    This is Brenda (from the Trinidad church). I'm actually the sister who came up and sang immediately after the soul-stirring and mind-provoking communion message you and Travis delivered. Thank you so much for sharing your life & for the "vicious killer dog" analogy (out of "Thirty Days at the Foot of the Cross" I believe). It was such a timely reminder; a few sisters and I have been talking about it since then, remarking that we need to get back to where we hate EVERY sin the way God does; to not trivialize/pet any of them or pull the "I'm not sooooo bad" or "It's not as bad as ______" card.

    Thank you so much for joining the team and coming to T&T to encourage our hearts...we are blown away by this display of God's love in sending you all! I know your impact on the teens during camp this week will be incredible, and God's name will continue to be glorified!

    BTW, the baby you're holding in your pic is my pumpkin Celine. She is one of the latest additions to my Sector (I'm with the South group), and she is the biggest joy EVER! We normally fight over who gets to hold her as soon as her parents bring her to service! lol. On Wednesday, I remarked to her Mom that the only reason I didn't roll up on ya for her is because you’re visiting – lol.

    See you tomorrow at midweek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brie - we love you and are proud of you, very proud to be your parents. Love Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY BRIE BRIE BRIEEEEE! I will read your blog later...PROMISE. miss you and of course LOVE YOU!!!- rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brie,
    This is Mom (on Dad's gmail account)...I have been so grateful to read all the blogs...it's helped me to feel so one in heart with you all as I pray for you! My daily prayer is that "by God's power, He will fulfill every good purpose of yours and every action prompted by your faith"...so that glory will come to Him...(2 Thes. 1:11,12)...I am so encouraged to see you and all of the group give your whole heart to everyone...truly you are building relationships that will last throughout your lifetime and into eternity. God is such an amazing Father, longing for His children to love one another deeply from the heart...it is a joy to see everyone's hearts being bonded together by God...
    I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Brianne!

    I have been so inspired by reading your blog and all the others. I have faces, eyes, smiles, and heart images from what I've read. All of you are amazing. God's love shines in you and you are spreading it-sharing it wherever you go-making God smile. Hopefully, we can get together when you return and we can hear more--at least promise to teen nap Marques and fill him up with your prayers, your scriptures, and your relationships from T&T. This is the first time I've ever blogged- took me a while to get going...it's a generational "thang":)- but now I'm in! Much love, Wanda (& Keith & Marques from your Kenya Trip Family Group)

    ReplyDelete